Lone Star Flight Museum Re-Opening May 23 for Memorial Day Weekend
May 21, 2020 04:20PM
By John Ennis
The Lone Star Flight Museum is excited and preparing to welcome visitors back to the museum on Saturday, May 23.
Closed since March 15th due to the Covid-19 outbreak, planning has been in the works to create a safe, enjoyable experience for the whole family. Because management at the venue is acutely aware of the financial burden this pandemic has caused, they invite the Houston community to come and enjoy the Lone Star Flight Museum and "Pay What You Can" for admission.
Now is also the perfect time to become a museum member! $25 discounts available now through June 1. Memberships are a great way to support the museum and celebrate aviation history with your family! Join today at: lonestarflight.org/membership
MUSEUM OPENING DETAILS:
Adhering to local, state and federal guidelines, the following is what visitors can expect in a museum experience, with the health and safety guidelines in mind:
- To allow for social distancing, the museum will operate at 25% capacity. Staff will monitor visitor numbers as well as limit the number of visitors in non-touch galleries that will remain open.
- Museum staff will have daily temperature screenings and practice social distancing in all areas of the museum. Those engaging with the public will wear gloves and masks at all times.
- All visitors over the age of 10 will be required to wear a face mask.
- Dedicated entrances and exits throughout the museum will be marked and stationed. Floor decals will also be implemented to promote social distancing.
- Periodic cleaning/sanitizing of the museum will take place daily.
- All interactive screens throughout the museum will remain off and hands-on experiences and exhibits will not be available.
- Both the Waltrip and Heritage Hangars housing all aircraft will remain open. The hangar overlooks, Heritage Gallery, Texas Aviation Hall of Fame and the museum gift shop will also remain open with a limited number of visitors entering at a time.
- The Flight Academy will be limited to visual engagement only and the Aviation Learning Center and simulators will remain closed.
- Alternate museum hours will also be implemented:
- Open Memorial Day, Monday, May 25 – 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Regular Museum Schedule: Tuesday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sunday, Noon-5 p.m.
About the Lone Star Flight Museum
The Lone Star Flight Museum (LSFM) is a 501c3 aviation museum and STEM learning center with a mission to celebrate flight and achievements in Texas aviation as well as educate and engage our youth through science, technology, engineering, and math. In addition to the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame, the 130,000 square foot museum is home to a flying collection of rare and historic commercial, general aviation and military aircraft. Multiple public and STEM-focused education programs create an unforgettable museum experience for visitors of all ages. Located at Ellington Airport, just 20 minutes from downtown Houston.