Blue Angels to Highlight 34th Wings Over Houston Airshow • Oct. 20-21
Oct 07, 2018 04:28PM
Blue Angels, Phillips 66 Aerostars, Sean Tucker’s Final Solo Act and More Performers Coming to TownThe U.S Navy Blue Angels under the command of League City native Eric Doyle will return to Houston for the 34th Annual Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Wings Over Houston Airshow on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 20-21, at Ellington Airport.
Phillips 66, whose world headquarters is based in Houston, will present an exciting demonstration by the Phillips 66 Aerostars aerobatics team and world famous aerobatic pilot Sean Tucker returns to Houston to fly his last act as a solo performer. Also, for the first time in Houston, “That’s All, Brother” a historic airplane which led the Allied Forces in the epic D-Day invasion of Europe during World War II will be among and impressive list of aircraft on display.To purchase tickets for the 2018 CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow, please visit the airshow’s website, www.wingsoverhouston.com, or call 888-4-FLYSHOW.
“We look forward to welcoming back the U.S. Navy Blue Angels and give a big welcome home greeting to Commander Doyle of League City,” said Airshow Director Bill Roach. “We’re also very excited to have one of Houston’s most prominent corporate citizens, Phillips 66, join our show with an exciting performance by the Phillips 66 Aerostars aerobatics team. We’re also honored to welcome back Sean Tucker, an incredible pilot and supporter of our show, who is coming back to Houston to give his last solo performance. The show also will feature modern military aircraft in the air and plenty on the ground for fans to get up close to them. The show will feature one of the largest assemblies of flying and static displays of vintage aircraft in the world.”
Produced by the Commemorative Air Force, the non-profit airshow is shaping up with several performances and features including:
• “That’s All, Brother,” a recently restored C-47 aircraft which transported paratroopers in the D-Day invasion in Europe 74 years ago, is making its CAF Wings Over Houston debut. The historic plane will be on static display for fans to see. Tours for a nominal fee will help the CAF raise money to send “That’s All, Brother” and her crew to France next year as part of a contingent of C-47s and other aircraft flying to Europe to mark the 75th anniversary of D-Day.
• Jack Links “Screamin’ Sasquatch Jet Waco,” a 1929 Taperwing Waco bi-plane outfitted with a jet engine flown, will be flown by veteran aerobatic pilot John Klatt. Jack Links also is a sponsor of Team Rubicon, a veteran-led disaster relief organization which has done extensive Hurricane Harvey relief work in the Houston area.
• The world’s leading civilian airshow performer, Sean D. Tucker with Team Oracle, returns for his last season as a solo performer.
• The Phillips 66 Aerostars precision aerobatics team, flying in Extra 300L aircraft, will perform an exciting act in front of their corporate home crowd.
• La Porte resident Deborah Rihn-Harvey, world aerobatic champion and one of the highest ranked competitors in the country, will perform her breath-taking show.
• The U.S. Air Force will demonstrate the amazing capabilities of the F-16 Viper, a single-seat, multi-mission fighter that can fly over Mach 2 and the ability to switch from an air-to-ground to an air-to-air role at the touch of a button.
• U.S. Air Force will showcase a Heritage Flight formation with aircraft.
• Static Aircraft on display from 75+ years of human flight
• Fan favorite, Tora! Tora! Tora! returns again to wow fans with their explosive reenactment of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
• The RE/MAX Skydiving Team will open the show with a performance choreographed to the national anthem.
• The U.S. Coast Guard will demonstrate rescue routines, having provided an all-weather 24/7 search and rescue capability to the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast since 1963.
• The Legends & Heroes Autograph Tent will host a very large contingent of distinguished military veterans and astronauts, including several World War II veterans. Among those meeting fans will be Lt. Col. Dick Cole, who recently celebrated his 103rd birthday and the last surviving member of the famous Doolittle Raiders as well as ace pilots Col. Clarence E. “Bud” Anderson and Col. Dean Caswell.
• The show also will feature a massive display of aircraft on the ground which fans can see up close and meet with their pilots and crews.
To purchase tickets for the 2018 CAF Wings Over Houston Airshow, please visit the airshow’s website, www.wingsoverhouston.com or call 888-4-FLYSHOW. On airshow performance days, general admission tickets will be sold at the gate. Once inside the gates, fans are welcome to visit reserved areas and purchase upgraded seating, if any are available.